Subject: Re: build.sh and -U confusion
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/2005 15:33:33
tron@zhadum.de (Matthias Scheler) writes:

> In article <20050810210417.BD6F25283@fnord.ir.bbn.com>,
> 	Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:
> > I ended up with a system with files in e.g. /usr/bin owned by gdt,
> > with no suid bits.  netstat didn't work, and I think sshd didn't
> > start.  While I realize this was my fault, it would be nice if
> > ./build.sh install without -U errored out if the build had METALOG
> > files.
>
> Good idea. What about this:

do you mean all 3, or choose 1?

> 1.) "./build.sh" refuses to build into a destination directory without a
>     meta log if "-U" is used.

for other than install, I think, and that's refuses if dest dir exists
(or exists and is nonempty?) and has no metalog.

> 2.) "./build.sh" refuses to build into a destination directory with a
>     meta log if "-U" is not used.

sounds ok

> 3.) "./build.sh" checks whether there is a meta log in the destination
>     directory and does The Right Thing(TM).

for install, or refuses if the existence of the metalog and the -U
flag don't sense.  I'm a bit leery of making such decisions
automatically, but fine with failing if they are wrong.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>