Subject: Re: unattended cdboot
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2005 08:43:35
On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:52:38AM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> I disagree with your opinion Hubert.

And I disagree with you and agree with Hubert.

> I think its usual to boot to harddisk, if no keys are pressed.

You insert such a CD to install from it, nothing more.

> If I choose to install I will press the apropriate key, or if there is a
> menu, choose the proper menu point.
> Because, let me assume I just installed the base system and do the first
> boot, then I want to boot into the system, and not again into the installer.
> (without removing the Media)

Thats the point when you have to remove the CD.
Maybe we should add something which tells the user to remove all install
media before the reboot proceed.

Another option would be to change the keypress, so it doesn't boot from
the CD if any key was pressed.

[from an older mail of Bang Jun-Young]
> But cdboot doesn't always wait for key like the MS one. Sometimes it is
> smart so it knows when it doesn't have to ask a user if they want to boot
> from CD:
>
>  - if there's no hard disk reported by BIOS, and
>  - if there's no active partition set in the MBR.

It is missing the check for the NetBSD ID in the MBR.

Bernd