Subject: PAM's "failed to recover old authentication token"
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hernani Marques Madeira <hernani@vecirex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/2005 12:54:43
Hello.

After updating from 3.99.3 to .7 (kernel+userland) on a /i386 machine I seem
to have lost my passwords, from both, my users and root and get the following
msg when I try to `passwd user`:

[snip]
firestarter# passwd user
Unable to change auth token: failed to recover old authentication token
[/snip]

chsh(1) also quits with following msgs after trying to change sth there:
[snip]
chsh: /etc/master.passwd: entry inconsistent
chsh: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged
[/snip]

su(1) doesn't work either, it quits with:
[snip]
firestarter# su user
su: unknown login su
[/snip]

Are these problems, that are related to PAM, known to someone, even on this
particular version perhaps? Or should I investigate deeper?

Probably there are even solved, although some PR related to PAM is still
pending.

It may also have to do with etcupdate(1) that updated too much/less.

After creating a new user, however, anything goes well with that one, also
su'ing to him, chsh'ing with him.
I am primarily interested in why that happened, because the occurence
of such inconsistencies are not known by me from updates done by me before
that one.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--