Subject: Re: requirements for getty replacement
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2005 13:07:51
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:46:58 +0200 (CEST)
Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:30:46 +0200 (CEST)
> > Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> wrote:
> >
> > > Could you skip the "single user mode" terminology, because from what I've
> > > read, that is not what you want.
> > >
> > > You want the system to start up all services, and so on, but you don't
> > > want a login prompt.
> >
> > No, I am creating a custom embedded system and in this case I do not
> > want to start any services.
>
> Oh? But processing /etc/ttys is part of the multiuser stuff, and isn't
> properly processed in single user mode.

It can be done when you force startup of it in custom script ran on a mounted media.

> > The system mounts rootfs in memory and drops to single user mode.
>
> Well, in singler user mode, file systems aren't mounted either.

They are if you chose to mount them in .profile or a script called by .profile.  Just like on install floppies.

> > installboot uses console=com0 which makes serial console default.
> > All I need is to fire up console on ttyE1 in addition to serial console
> > and execute custom scripts e.g /.profile in one of consoles when user
> > answers Yes/No.
>
> What is "console" here (in "fire up console on ttyE1")?

wscons

> > The system will then partition the HD/CF and install a "normal" NetBSD
> > system.
>
> Hmm, are you designing your own installation system. Why don't you modify
> the installation system that already exists, to your specific needs?

Becouse I dont need to and I already coded my own which does exactly what I need.

> > > single user means no daemons (more or less) have started, noting have been
> > > conofigured, and so on.
> > >

> > Yes, I am pretty aware of what happens in single user mode.
>
> Good, then you should understand that parts of what you want/expect don't
> happen in single user mode.

It's BSD. What happens and does not happen is entirely up to you to controll.