Subject: Re: requirements for getty replacement
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2005 12:46:58
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:30:46 +0200 (CEST)
> Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> wrote:
>
> > Could you skip the "single user mode" terminology, because from what I've
> > read, that is not what you want.
> >
> > You want the system to start up all services, and so on, but you don't
> > want a login prompt.
>
> No, I am creating a custom embedded system and in this case I do not
> want to start any services.

Oh? But processing /etc/ttys is part of the multiuser stuff, and isn't
properly processed in single user mode.

> The system mounts rootfs in memory and drops to single user mode.

Well, in singler user mode, file systems aren't mounted either.

> installboot uses console=com0 which makes serial console default.
> All I need is to fire up console on ttyE1 in addition to serial console
> and execute custom scripts e.g /.profile in one of consoles when user
> answers Yes/No.

What is "console" here (in "fire up console on ttyE1")?

> The system will then partition the HD/CF and install a "normal" NetBSD
> system.

Hmm, are you designing your own installation system. Why don't you modify
the installation system that already exists, to your specific needs?

> > single user means no daemons (more or less) have started, noting have been
> > conofigured, and so on.
> >

> Yes, I am pretty aware of what happens in single user mode.

Good, then you should understand that parts of what you want/expect don't
happen in single user mode.

	Johnny