Subject: Re: using a PCIB made before written history? (Intel 82426EX PCI-to-ISA
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2005 02:33:08
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Martin Husemann wrote:

>> pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, rd/mult, wr/inv ok
>> Intel 82426EX PCI-to-ISA Bridge (PCIB) (miscellaneous prehistoric, revision
>> 0x02) at pci0 dev 5 function 0 not configured
>
> Did you remove "pcib* at pci?" from your kernel config?

This is GENERIC from netbsd-2-0-2-RELEASE (for i386). I didn't remove it
and I see it is there.

> But maybe you do not explicitly need an isa bus (i.e. if you have all your
> legacy devices [like pckbc, npx, ...] attached via acpi)

I am not sure if I know what that means. The kernel output doesn't say
anything about "acpi" and appears all commented out in GENERIC.

This particular hardware is probably from around 1993-95. It is a Gateway
2000 desktop with an Intel 486 DX/2-WB CPU. It has one PCI and two ISA
slots (ISA on the "prehistoric" PCIB). (I use the ISA for a second network
card.) It has been running great and near continuously for probably seven
years for me.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/