Subject: Re: bootstrapping NetBSD on an IBM Networkstation 8363 Wxx (GEODE not PPC version)
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/2005 11:12:57
--heQF7/FOvX7GgW47

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 10:08:12AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
  | I have got access to a GEODE based IBM Networkstation. it has a CF with
  | Windows-CE on it.
  |=20
  | When I replace a CF formatted as a NetBSD FS, with an MBR/boot pair, it
  | drops out during boot to a menu which offers remote Linux booting, or
  | CF reformat.
  |=20
  | It looks like IBM wired in their own 'bios' on this baby to demand
  | specific things at boot time.
  |=20
  | I expect I can move on to playing with a Linux boot (since its offering
  | one) but I wondered if any NetBSD people knew how to dtrt to make this
  | baby play.
  |=20
  | the PPC editions of this thing are discussed online. But the Geode ones
  | don't seem to get much attention. I have the IBM .pdf (or should I say
  | lenovo :-) and I've scoured the web for references. Not much there.
  |=20
  | (I'd say the device is very close to a soekris unit, in terms of its
  | capabilities: one 72-pin memory slot, one PCI riser slot (non standard
  | format but the pinouts are there0 and one CF slot. Two USB, one
  | ethernet, and a soundcard. 32Mb of memory on the motherboard, runs
  | Windows CE with a browser and RDP, around 2002 vintage)
  |=20
  | Its technically called an 8383 Wxx

My current router/firewall/NAT device is an 8364-S26 (AKA "N2800").
AFAICT it is similar to the 8363 (AKA "N2200") except that it also
has 2 PCI slots.  My particular model has on-board token ring, so
I have two PCI NICs in it.  (I tried a dual NIC PCI card but the
BIOS wedged on boot; I suspect it didn't like the PCI bridge on the
card.)

It's booting off a 128MB CF card -- the system won't boot off
anything larger.  I just extracted the base.tgz & etc.tgz sets
and configured the system as per normal.

I had considered using an "embedded memory disk" approach --
similar to the installation media and a product that I work on
in my "day job", but I've been too lazy to work on that so far.

Cheers,
Luke.

--heQF7/FOvX7GgW47

--heQF7/FOvX7GgW47--