Subject: Re: progress meter in pkg_add
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2005 06:54:18
Hi Zafer,

Just FYI, I am working on getting rid of system() in pkg_install.  Once
I am finished, the code you pasted will be changed.

The package is extracted into a staging area.  Then the files are renamed
into the install location.  If they cannot be renamed (ie: the staging
area and the install location are on different filesystems), then the
code you pasted comes into play.  Basically:
	system("tar cf - file1 file2 ... | tar xpf - -C todir");

If using the progress command, you'd need to decide whether you want
multiple progress bars for different operations that pkg_add does when
it installs a package.  I think it could be doable.

Ben