Subject: Re: wd.c patch (was Re: NetBSD 3.0_BETA & RAIDframe problems)
To: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2005 18:47:53
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 10:10:37PM +0200, Urban Boquist wrote:
> Timo> please add this quirk for another this, the Seagate ST3160023A
> Timo> (160GByte, 7.200rpm, 8MByte Cache).
>
> Timo> before applying the patch the machine crashed when builing
> Timo> RAIDframe, with patch applied (i did it for 2.0.2-RELEASE, too)
> Timo> it runs fine.
>
> Are you sure that it really is the drive that is the problem? Maybe
> that quirk is just masquerading some other problem with your
> system. Did you try the drive in some other machine?
>
> I'm asking because I have been running a "ST3160023AS" for a long time
> without any problems at all. Yes, I know it's not identical, but
> still... ;-)

It depends on how the drive is accessed. You have to access sector 262144
exactly. If your drive is partitionned in such a way that sector 262144
in not the first sector of a fragment, I suspect that you won't see the
problem. A dd with the default block size on the raw device will make it
show up.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>