Subject: Re: The NetBSD Homepage
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaka Jejcic <jj@gnorw.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/2005 10:38:13
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:22:00AM +0200, Amadeus Stevenson wrote:
> On 6/20/05, Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de> wrote:
> > Also sprach Jan Schaumann (jschauma@netmeister.org)

> > > Please post suggested stylesheets! :-)
> >
> > However, I made three little hacks to index.html:
> >
> > http://141.44.86.77/~stefan/ofont.htm
> > http://141.44.86.77/~stefan/orange.htm
> > http://141.44.86.77/~stefan/g-o.htm
>
> I can only read the first one properly on an lcd here.

I agree. Only the first one is readable. But strictly aesteticly speaking
it would be better not to just copy orange from the logo but use some
other, perhaps complementary colors. Hence the logo would stand out and
the text would be readable. That is exactly why i think the current scheme
is good enough as far as current design is concerned. And the design is
the one that should be changed if we want changes. But let's not forget
the purpose of NetBSD.org which is to provide information (in the broadest
meaning posible) for NetBSD users. Using some sophisticated design would
only slow down the page, make it unusable in non-graphic environments
and transfer focus from function to form.
In short - the current page serves the pupose just fine, if we want something
else, we should not sacrifice any of the good points mentioned above.

just my 2c
jj