Subject: Re: cddl
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2005 00:13:43
On Oct 1,  6:09am, "Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:
} On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} >      For those that don't realise it, the http://www.opensolaris.org/
} > site opened yesterday with downloadable code for the kernel and
} > networking.  I was wondering what people thought about the CDDL licence
} > and if they think code covered by it could be imported to NetBSD?
} > Although proper documentation would be better, this code could be a way
} > of figuring out how to do sparc64 SMP and how to support UltraSparc III
} > processors.
}
} See
} http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/licensing_faq/#CDDL-proprietary
}
} The license is incompatible as this says you must share your source code
} modifications.

     Hmm...  Darn.  The word that I got straight from a senior Solaris
developer was that if it wasn't for the patent issue, they would have
used the BSD licence.  Forcing people to share their changes is more
GPL like then BSD like.  Ironically, the GNU people say that it isn't
compatible with the GPL because of the "mutual patent destruction
clauses" (this wording courtesy of the Solaris developer).

} (Unless maybe if you split up the code into separate files but that
} doesn't make sense.)

     It may or may not depending on what code is taken.

     Oh well, OpenSolaris can probably be used to get some ideas and
figure out how some things are done.  We'd just have to rewrite from
scratch to avoid copyright issues.  Of course, the difference between
the two kernels may be enough that the code couldn't be used directly
anyways.

}-- End of excerpt from "Jeremy C. Reed"