Subject: Re: ..and use mirrors! (was Re: current anoncvs machine needs a ticket to the moon)
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2005 11:11:35
Actually, I like this idea a lot.  Having mirrors qualify before being
put into the roller would be a good way to ensure quality.  Are there
any metrics on the ratio of people who read/write with cvs versus
people who are just reading to stay current with their branch?=20
Metrics on how in-sync mirrors are?  Could they be dynamically moved
from stratum levels?  Is svn less overhead?  rsync?  etc?  Maybe it
would be easier to offer different methods into the repository.  (If
that's possible.  I'm --not-- suggesting a move away from cvs for
development and actual code storage, just asking if there is a
faster/lighter-weight way to access a cvs repository)

>=20
> IMO a system like the NTP-stratum-levels might work:
>=20
> The central cvs-server allows only some level 2 mirrors to checkout
> repositories and keep them in sync.
>=20
> The level 2 server might become the masters for a third level of
> mirrors or for the enduser.
>=20
> The enduser chooses one Level 2 or 3 server.
>=20
> The top level cvsroot wouldn't get to much load, because only some
> clients are allowed to checkout, so the load will get spread over the
> level 2 (or, if required, level 3 server).
>=20
> Of course, reliable Level 2 servers are required, but I guess it
> should be possible to get a dozen Level 2 servers up and running.
>=20
> --
> PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
> --
> Wer mit Ungeheuern k=E4mpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheue=
r wird.
> Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in di=
ch hinein.
>=20
> Friedrich Nietzsche, "Jenseits von Gut und B=F6se"
>=20
>=20
>=20

--=20