Subject: Re: ..and use mirrors! (was Re: current anoncvs machine needs a ticket to the moon)
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2005 00:11:43
--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

Also sprach matthew sporleder (msporleder@gmail.com)
> Has anyone ever considered setting up a rolling mirror for these guys?
>  I'm not sure if these are accomplished with DNS, or what, but they
> work like this:
>=20
> roller.netbsd.org would randomly redirect you to one of many mirrors
> and, that way, distribute load a little better.
>=20
> Although I've never been a huge fan of using DNS as a load-balancer,
> it might be helpful.  I'm pretty sure the fink project uses something
> like this.

This is called round-robin. I guess it's a bad idea to to use
round-robin for CVS-co, because a mirror might get out of sync.

IMO a system like the NTP-stratum-levels might work:

The central cvs-server allows only some level 2 mirrors to checkout
repositories and keep them in sync.=20

The level 2 server might become the masters for a third level of
mirrors or for the enduser.=20

The enduser chooses one Level 2 or 3 server.=20

The top level cvsroot wouldn't get to much load, because only some
clients are allowed to checkout, so the load will get spread over the
level 2 (or, if required, level 3 server).=20

Of course, reliable Level 2 servers are required, but I guess it
should be possible to get a dozen Level 2 servers up and running.=20

--=20
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--=20
Wer mit Ungeheuern k=E4mpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer =
wird.
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich=
 hinein.

Friedrich Nietzsche, "Jenseits von Gut und B=F6se"

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--