Subject: Re: What sendmail.cf?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/2005 09:36:53
In article <87ADEED002A74C4DA72453E806883CA60664B682@au3005exch001u.anz.lucent.com>,
	"Keenan, Greg John (Greg)** CTR **" <gjkeenan@lucent.com> writes:
> And if I force it to use /etc/mail/sendmail.cf it delivers via the
> new_smart_host?

Yes, of course..

> Both commands you have to assume are using the same sendmail.cf so what is
> the difference when I force it with the -C option?

Sendmail uses a new delivery scheme since version 8.12:

1.) "/usr/sbin/sendmail" is not setuid root anymore. Instead of perfoming
    the actual mail delivery it will only connect to the SMTP port on
    the local machine via the loopback interface and pass the e-mail to
    the sendmail daemon.

2.) The sendmail daemon is still running as user root and will deliver
    the e-mail.

You could therefore simply run a sendmail daemon by putting the following
settings in "/etc/rc.conf":

sendmail=YES
smmsp=YES

The default configuration "netbsd-proto.cf" will make sure that
sendmail only listens on the loopback interface and doesn't accept
e-mails from the network.

If you desperately want the old scheme back use the instructions below:

1.) Stop the mail services:

/etc/rc.d/sendmail stop
/etc/rc.d/smmsp onestop

2.) Add this line to "/etc/rc.conf" ...

sendmail_suidroot=YES

    ... and remove this line if it is present:

smmsp=yes

3.) Remove "/etc/mail/submit.cf".

4.) Make "sendmail" setuid "root":

/usr/sbin/chown root:wheel /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
/bin/chmod 4555 /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail

5.) Restart the mail service:

/etc/rc.d/sendmail start

	Kind regards

--