Subject: 2.0: panic: insmntque into dying filesystem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/2005 02:45:38
This is with 2.0. I'm not sure this is one of the things that are fixed
in 2.0.2 or even -current. I do get an awful number of crashes with 2.0,
I must say; they may be related to a filesystem with softdeps getting
full.

I diff a diff of /usr/src/sys but I didn't see any relevant file
system changes, but then again I might overlook something.

I was busy pkg_comp-ing and when I looked again my Alpha had rebooted.
I got a kernel crash dump and gdb told me this:

This GDB was configured as "alpha--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) target kcore netbsd.0.core
panic: insmntque into dying filesystem
#0  0xfffffc00005b6e58 in dumpsys ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xfffffc00005b6e58 in dumpsys ()
#1  0xfffffc00005b6ae8 in cpu_reboot ()
#2  0xfffffc00004d0570 in panic ()
#3  0xfffffc0000500ee8 in insmntque ()
#4  0xfffffc0000500c9c in getnewvnode ()
#5  0xfffffc00003fd23c in union_allocvp ()
#6  0xfffffc00003ff7a8 in union_root ()
#7  0xfffffc00003ff590 in union_unmount ()
#8  0xfffffc00005068b0 in dounmount ()
#9  0xfffffc00005066d4 in sys_unmount ()
#10 0xfffffc00005bd08c in syscall_plain ()
#11 0xfffffc000030046c in XentSys ()
warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x1200017d4

It looks like it crashed while cleaning up the union mounts from
pkg_comp. For some reason I decided to use union mounts instead of null
mounts, probably because I had those compiled into my kernel.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            --  rhialto/at/falu.nl
\X/ Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature to help me spread!