Subject: Re: MBR boot fails on AMD 64 (infinite loop)
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/2005 19:25:28
Andy Ruhl a écrit :

> But the fix may be related: I found that fdisk was broken and wasn't
> allowing me to set the boot partition correctly, and the boot list at
> boot time was wrong. I'm not really too good at knowing the insides of
> the boot process so I can't really explain it.

Well, it seems that in my case, it was the disk geometry that was
reported wrong. The BIOS gave only 2 heads 3 sectors for a 70 GB disk !
:) However, the second disk geometry was reported fine, so I installed
NetBSD on sd1 instead of sd0, switched the boot order and it worked.

The audio driver seems to be a little buggy with the chipset of the
workstation (nForce 4). I hate nVidia, they lock their documentation,
you cannot figure out what's going on inside.

I havn't tried to install the Ethernet driver yet, will do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,
Vincent