Subject: Re: rpc.statd problems
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2005 19:39:37
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:42:57PM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> My NFS is running NetBSD/i386 3.0_BETA and these kind of entries appear
> in the logs:
>

> May 23 00:00:08 n70 rpc.statd: Failed to contact host ^E^F^G: RPC:
> Unknown host
> May 23 00:05:04 n70 rpc.statd: Failed to contact host ^E^F^G: RPC:
> Unknown host
>

> n70:~> rpcinfo -p localhost
>     100024    1   udp   1017  status
>     100024    1   tcp   1019  status
>

> Connections to these ports are only allowed from my desktop PC and it's
> currently powered off.

What OS do you have on your desktop ?

> The only other host allowed to access these ports
> is localhost, i.e. the NFS server itself.
>
> Any ideas what might be causing this?

I see this on the servers at work too, with linux NFS clients. For some reason
the /var/db/statd.status file gets corrupted, with entries containing garbage.
I've spend some time on this, without success. I don't know if it's a
problem in rpc.statd itself, or in db(3).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>