Subject: Re: WiFi that works?
To: <>
From: Michal Suchanek <hramrach@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2005 21:03:27
On 5/11/05, Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:35:01 +0100, Amadeus Stevenson wrote:
>=20
> > I've spent many many hours griping over changed chipsets in the
> > Linksys WMP11 cards that I've bought and/or found. USB Belkin is a
> > no-no too.
> >
> > After a lot of wasted time and some wasted money the WMP11v27 and
> > WMP11v4 do not work under netbsd (-current) as they have NDA chipsets
> > (InfoComm went bust, the v27 is Broadcom). I filed a pr to update the
> > wi(4) man page (kern/30141).
> >
> > I found some posts about it in the archives, and wanted to ask:
> >
> > -What solutions have you found?
> >
> > I'm running -current on port-sparc64 and can use PCI.
> >
> > Any solid recommendations for things that work under netbsd?
>=20
> I use the Z-Com XI-626 (in i386 machines, using wi driver). I don't think
> that they ever changed the chipset.
>=20
> wi0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: Intersil Prism2.5 Wireless Lan
> wi0: interrupting at irq 9
> wi0: 802.11 address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
> wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.0.7), Station (1.3.6)
> wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

I am also using prism 2.5 based card, though connected through pcmcia.
Lucent/WaveLan/Orinoco cards also work, but there is no pci version
afaik, only a pci-pcmcia adapter.

As I was recently reading about different wifi chipsets I found that
Atheros is supported by NetBSD but only the oldest AR5210 chip. The
ath(4) man page claims support for AR5211 and AR5212 but some mail
discussiun suggests that this is a bug in the man page.

The newer chips should be supported by FreeBSD and Linux, so there is
some hope the drivers will be ported and we will get full a/b/g
coverage eventually..

It is neccessary to carefully examine the hardware support databases
before buying a wifi card, unfortunately.

Good luck :)

--=20
--
Michal Suchanek