Subject: crash in ntfs read?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2005 11:14:25
One of my machines has been crashing overnight every few days.  It
seemed to be a hang; I finally realized that I should set ddb.onpanic
to 0, since I wouldn't see a panic message while I was in X.  The
backtrace indicates that the problem is in the ntfs code; I have
/windows mounted read-only, so I suspect it's dying during the daily
job.  Is anyone else seeing anything like that?  I've built and booted
a debugging kernel so I can get better diagnostic info (and I'll sendpr
when I do), but I'm perplexed because I don't see this on any of my
other similarly-configured -current machines.  (Btw, I don't know what
the panic is; gdb didn't display it, and I haven't had the chance to
figure out yet why not.)

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb