Subject: Re: mount_smbfs problems
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/10/2005 01:53:16
On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 12:47:13AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005, Martin Husemann wrote:
> >IIRC they were chosen to help certain compat setups where you use a /dev
> >dir from another OS in one way or the other. A special layered filesystem
> >(similar to UMAPFS) that maps device nodes according to a config file
> >could be used to assist this setups instead and allow globaly unique device
> >major numbers.
>
> It seems most[1] ports use majors below 143 for MD drivers, and >143 for
> MI drivers. I wonder why smb uses MD specific numbers in the first place.

The MI range has not been assigned at the time smbfs got into the tree.
Since it appears reasonably MI now, I'm adding this to all platform
major lists now.

> [1] sys/arch/pmppc/conf/majors.pmppc says 143 in one place, and 191
>     in another. Need to bug Lennart...

Fixed.

Jaromir

-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-