Subject: Re: Tab completion in /bin/sh
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/2005 18:04:21
Richard Rauch wrote:

> I never use file-complete.  I find it a ghastly feature, which is why
> I pointed out that it has to be able to be turned off.

I've started poking through the source for sh(1) and made some notes
about the way tab completion works (from the user perspective) in GNU
bash. I consider tab completion to be something that should be optional,
and only enabled in emacs mode. As noted in another message, tab
completion can cause the shell to "lock up" when there are many possible
completions to parse, particularily on slower architectures like the
Vax.

Chris
--
One is not superior merely because one sees the world as odious.
                    Chateaubriand (1768-1848)