Subject: Re: Tab completion in /bin/sh
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/2005 18:14:05
On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 04:58:09PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Richard Rauch said:
>
> >I never use file-complete.  I find it a ghastly feature, which is why
> >I pointed out that it has to be able to be turned off.
>
> I know people that use it all the time.

I never said that no one could, would, or should use it.  Only that
it needs to be able to be disabled.

Checking my login scripts, it seems that in 1.6-current, someone
"thoughtfully" made tab-completion the default and I had to hack
in some fixes to disable it.  Now I remember being incensed that
it was made into the default...

 [...]
> I always use csh for route and ksh for users. You can't use "!!" in
> any other normal shell except csh and tcsh.

I use csh for root.  But I would survive if it were gone.  (^&

(I am pretty accustomed to ^x^y^ type substitutions, and !prefix,
so much so that I sometimes type them in my ksh logins.)

> Maybe someone should fix ksh so that NetBSD has a ksh that is under the
> BSD copyright. I notice that AT&T ksh seems to be broken in NetBSD pkgsrc
> and FreeBSD ports. It seems that AT&T doesn't really want ksh93 to get too
> popular.

The only license that I have found in the NetBSD ksh is in its alloc.c, which
looks pretty acceptable to me.  I think that that may only affect the alloc.c
file, though.  I'm not sure where the general license is for /bin/ksh.

What exactly is wrong with the NetBSD ksh's license?  (For that matter, where
is the license, if the /bin/ksh is not actually owned by TNF?)