Subject: Re: Tab completion in /bin/sh
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/2005 02:57:18
On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:27:30PM -0500, J Chapman Flack wrote:

> > > 	For anyone that wants a quick answer, a few of the features I picked out
> > > that pdksh doesn't seem to have:
> >
> > I'm afraid, all that will be considered as "bloat"

> Could you clarify whether you yourself consider the features of ksh to be
> bloat, or you are afraid that others will?

The others _are_ already.

In my opinion, all the shells shipped "by default" are in very old (and even
obsolete) versions - and only the "additional ones" (tcsh, bash, ksh) are
useful.

I can't understand, why not dispose of that very spartan versions
completely; of course, I understand, that such versions are of smaller size
- but in the case of shells we're considering 100 KB difference...

I like very much the "conservative approach" of NetBSD-team ("evolution
instead of revolution") - but when we're talking about shells, isn't it
a little bit too conservative? ;)

But OK, it doesn't make any real problem to me to install the better ones
additionally; it's just my personal opinion, that the "default ones" have
very limited functionality, and are really uncomfortable.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski