Subject: Re: Tab completion in /bin/sh
To: Karsten Kruse <tecneeq@tecneeq.de>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2005 09:44:26
On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:32:26PM +0200, Karsten Kruse wrote:
> Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
>
> >>BTW, any chance that we get the real ksh in base.tgz some day? I would
> >>love it.
>
> > 	So what features does that have that the current one doesn't?
>
> Start here:
>  http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jlk/lj/
>
> Korn Shell is more like a high level programming language. You can even
> write your own plugins or bindings.

	For anyone that wants a quick answer, a few of the features I picked out
that pdksh doesn't seem to have:

	array variables, with associative index (instead of just numerical)
	hierarchal variables.  e.g. $(foo.bar), $(foo.baz)
	ability to add new builtin shell function using a loadable module.
	FPATH variable to automatically load shell functions
	ability to set "discipline functions" that are triggered when a variable
		is accessed.
	C style "for" loops  (e.g. for (x; x<y; x++); do )

eric