Subject: Re: trouble with 10baseT autoselect on wm0
To: None <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2005 23:32:40
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:25:24PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:08:00PM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >
> > Please file a PR. Drivers that issue a reset to enter and exit promiscuous
> > mode should be fixed where possible.
>
> This actually causes dhclient to *crash the firmware* of some tigon2 cards
> by resetting them too frequently.  Ugly, ugly, ugly.  I no longer have a ti
> card to reproduce the bug for a PR, but I distinctly remember the Happy
> Fun Symptom.

Uh oh.

I just looked at the ti driver assuming this would be an easy fix.  But it
isn't.  The ti driver *already* does the right thing, and it may be that
the wm driver does, too -- I haven't looked.  If only the promiscuous mode
is changing, ti_ioctl doens't reset the chip.

But *dhclient* explicitly downs and ups the interface.  So it will in fact
cause this problem with any interface that renegotiates the link under
these circumstances, whether the driver works right or not.  Suck.

Thor