Subject: potential interaction between drivers: mpt and bge
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2005 13:44:34
I am trying to debug a machine with the following setup (see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2005/04/21/0001.html for more
detailed information):

- 2 on-board Broadcom BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet chips (bge)
- 1 on-board LSI Logic 53c1030 Ultra320 SCSI HBA (mpt)
- 1 plug-in LSI Logic U320 PCI-X HBA (mpt)

Whenever the first (as determined by PCI location, independent of
hard-coded kernel location) ethernet controller is brought up, the
2.0.2/amd64 GENERIC.MP kernel crashes.  This occurs regardless of
which slot the PCI-X card is plugged into.  Both the on-board and
card-based HBAs use the same driver: mpt.  Thus, the current suspicion
is that there is some bad interaction between these two drivers.

The file sys/dev/ic/mpt.c contains the following note:

     /*
      * Reset the IOC when needed. Try software command first then if needed
      * poke at the magic diagnostic reset. Note that a hard reset resets
      * *both* IOCs on dual function chips (FC929 && LSI1030) as well as
      * fouls up the PCI configuration registers.
      */

Could the problem relate to ill-advised hard resets messing with the
configuration?

I can make this machine available via ssh to any developers who might
wish to try sorting out these issues.  Indeed, I would greatly
appreciate any help from the wizards, as this is far beyond my level
of understanding.

All help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Brook