Subject: Re: trouble with 10baseT autoselect on wm0
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2005 20:35:10
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> I have a Thinkpad T42 with a wm GigE card.  I've never tried it at
> GigE speeds; it runs fine at 100 Mbps.  But it doesn't work at 10
> Mbps if I have it set to 'media autoselect'.  However, if I set it
> to 'media 10baseT', it works.

I have one of those laptops as well.  I haven't tried it at 10 Mbps,
but I had to quit letting it autoselect against our Cisco GigE capable
switch, because it would negotiate 1 Gbps and full duplex -- after
trying for about two minutes.  Every time something happened to the
interface, such as me putting it into promiscuous mode with tcpdump,
there would be another two minute wait for the autoselect.

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.