Subject: Re: Making a symbol table
To: Chan-youn Park <phygeeks@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2005 11:10:26
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Chan-youn Park wrote:
> When '[no symbols available]' message comes out while booting, what
> options should I set for compiling a kernel with symbols?

Try:
makeoptions     DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table

Looking with file(1) at the thing you boot may be helpful, too.
As far as I understand, the NetBSD kernel usually has _some_ amount of
symbols in it, but I may be wrong.

At least on my PC, I get:

 	noon% file /netbsd
 	/netbsd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

The "not stripped" is the key here. Not full debug symbols, but some.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)