Subject: None
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Petermann <matthias.petermann@bsd-crew.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/2005 21:28:28
Hi,

last week I got a very worse experience on NetBSD FFS. I had to wait
for about 7 minutes to complete a fsck of a 120 GB FFS disklabel,
after my box crashed.

I know that is not an everyday's problem and usually the system
should not crash. But unfortunately those things always happen
when you have no time to wait for a complete fsck and every
second counts till the system comes up again :-/

I'm searching for a solution that makes those fscks a bit more
faster.

* The first option could be to use LFS. It is really ready
  for production use in 2.0.2, or still experimental? Is anybody
  using it?

* The second one could be to make some kind of background fsck
  like FreeBSD 5.x does. I just played around with the fss0
  snaphot device which seems to work. Are there any (experimental?)
  rc-scripts to use these mechanism for background fsck, or is
  it impossible with the NetBSD implementation of FFSv2?

I would be very thankful to read some comments (and/or some further
ideas).

Kind regards,
Matthias

--
  ,MN  NM, PPPP,   Matthias Petermann . Cell: +49 172 878 43 76
  NM NN MN PP PP        http://matthias.bsd-crew.de