Subject: Re: resetting USB ports?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2005 12:45:09
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <200504131000.57288@gryphon.flame.org>, Michael Graff writes:
>>I've got one better for ya.  :)
>>
>>I have tried both USB mice and PS/2 mice.  The USB port would sometimes
>>just vanish, and to syslog it would look like a disconnected, then
>>reconnected
>>mouse.  Nothing was unplugged, and it would do it while idle and while in
>>use.
>>
>>Switching (using control-alt-F1) to console, then back to X, would "fix"
>>it, probably by causing X to reopen the mouse.
>
> Hmm...  Following a suggestion I received privately, I switched to a
> text console, disconnected and reconnected the mouse, switched back,
> and had everything work.  I wonder if I can skip the disconnect/
> reconnect part....

I have two Athlon boxes with USB mice that do this occassionally.
It first started happening with the official 2.0 release last fall
and has continued with 2.0_STABLE. For these two machines (out of
8 total that I run NetBSD on), it only happens when I unlock a
running KDE session that is started by xdm. Often I can get the
mouse back by doing the ctrl-alt-F? console switch, but not always.
Sometimes I just have to restart xdm. I have a suspicion that it
is related to some sort of timing problem with waking the display
up.