Subject: Re: resetting USB ports?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2005 10:00:47
--nextPart5642663.Kkog9fciQ6

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 17:19, Richard Rauch wrote:
> I would rather suggest *disabling* IOAPIC.
>
> I saw exactly your problem on my AMD64 box a year ago or so.  Somewhere,
> I got the hint of disabling IOAPIC (I never turned on MPACPI).  The probl=
em
> went away.

I've got one better for ya.  :)

I have tried both USB mice and PS/2 mice.  The USB port would sometimes jus=
t=20
vanish, and to syslog it would look like a disconnected, then reconnected=20
mouse.  Nothing was unplugged, and it would do it while idle and while in=20
use.

Switching (using control-alt-F1) to console, then back to X, would "fix" it=
,=20
probably by causing X to reopen the mouse.

Now, on the same system, I'm seeing PS/2 issues that appear to be the same=
=20
thing.  Switching to console then back to X also "fixes" this.  I don't see=
=20
the PS/2 port vanish, but for all practical purposes it becomes dead.

=2D-Michael