Subject: Re: vm.execmin: sysctl() failed with Invalid argument
To: sigsegv <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2005 15:53:24
Hi!

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, sigsegv wrote:

> I boot the system with default sysctl values, then I edit /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> vm.anonmin=80
> vm.anonmax=95
> vm.execmin=10
> vm.execmax=60
> vm.filemin=1
> vm.filemax=1
>
> Running sysctl to set new vm.* values produces the following error message:

I haven't checked, but I assume that it makes the changes one at a time,
and then fails a consistency check. When it fails, anonmin is 80 and
filemin is 10, so execmin can not be more than 5, as the sum of the
minimums can not be grater than 95. I guess. :)
(See src/sys/uvm/uvm_meter.c UPDATEMIN macro definition)

So, try setting vm.file* first, then vm.exec* and finally vm.anon*.

> Running sysctl the second time finally succeeds without errors:

The previous run successfully reduced filemin, so now you can set
execmin up to 14. I guess. :)

Artsi
--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.