Subject: Re: beeps replaced by static?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2005 02:15:08
--RD6GsZsdEJvsf78O

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 07:57:55PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I recently upgraded my laptop from a 20 February kernel to a 5 April=20
> version.  I no longer hear beeps when I do, say, "echo ^G"; instead, I=20
> hear a brief burst of static.  But sound card support is working; I can=
=20
> play mp3s with no problem. =20

Quoting UPDATING:

20050325:
        pcppi(4) was separated in two devices, adding attimer(4).  Be sure
        to add a config line for an attimer(4) device in your kernel
        configuration, or you won't be able to set the pitch of the beep
        with wsconsctl.  Also, it is advised to attach both devices the
        same way (i.e., both on isa or both on acpi) or the pcppi(4) device
        may fail to find the attimer(4) one.

--=20

--RD6GsZsdEJvsf78O

--RD6GsZsdEJvsf78O--