Subject: Re: Promiscuous mode blocks network traffic
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2005 19:55:30
christos@tac.gw.com (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> [When] NetBSD erroneously brings down and up the interface to set
> promiscuous mode, the switch restarts the vlan negotiation and that
> can take up to a minute.

Aha!  Yup, this problem showed up after the switch was replaced by a
modern Cisco that does proper auto-negotiation, including 1000Mbps.

> The solution is to fix the drivers to do the minimal work to
> enter/exit promiscuous mode where possible without affecting link
> state.

Yeah -- why do they have to take down the link to change mode?  It
seems to me the two things should be unrelated...?

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.