Subject: Re: mpt(4) issues, was: Why not softdep per default?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/2005 23:00:48
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:50:36PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> >And does the problem happen when not in RAID mode ?
>
> I never tested this. And since the machines are in production, it's
> difficult now to switch on the fly.
>
> >I'm not sure the driver supports this.
>
> The controller presents the RAID 1 (two Fujitsu 36GB disks) as one disk to
> the OS. No further software support needed. Works fine under light and
> medium I/O load.
>
> If you intended to say: "not fully supported" - that's something else.  ;)

OK, so maybe "not fully supported".

> >But the sense key and ASC/ASQ reported are quite clear, it's a hardware
> >error,
>
> I'm not sure how far I should trust the driver there.

It's not the driver which reports the error, it's the device. The
driver pass this transparently to scsipi.
Now, it's possible that this error is faked by the firmware when in RAID mode.
Maybe becase the previous message sent by the firmware was not handled
properly.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>