Subject: Re: mpt(4) issues, was: Why not softdep per default?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/2005 23:05:36
At 18:39 Uhr +0200 2.4.2005, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> The two machines running netbsd-2 ATM are 32bit pci boards. They
>> sort-of-work under light load with the occasional panic during the
>> daily cron jobs. Moving the disks to the two newer machines (64bit
>> pci) makes NetBSD jam while booting to multi-user. Using the older
>> controllers (all are 64bit pci cards) makes no difference.
>>
>> So both machine generations have the mpt problem, only it hits much
>> worse/earlier with the 64bit pci boards.
>
>It's just a supposition, but it's possible that the firmware of the
>adapter is running out of ressources. It then gives back a status message
>which isn't handled properly by the driver.

That's quite possible. It definitely looks like a congestion effect to me,
including the fact that some of the time, the adapter seems to recover from
the problem, and sometimes not.

>It's possible that this
>status code appeared in newer version of the firmware, and the driver wasn't
>updated for it.

As I noted in the PR, the OpenBSD mpt(4) man page claims that newer
firmware revisions are not supported. I suppose the mpt driver originally
came from FreeBSD?

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign