Subject: Re: mpt(4) issues, was: Why not softdep per default?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/2005 23:02:06
At 18:50 Uhr +0200 2.4.2005, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>I had a look at the driver.
>These:
>mpt0: Unknown async event: 0xb
>mpt0: Unknown async event: 0xb
>
>are defined in the mpt_mpilib.h as "MPI_EVENT_INTEGRATED_RAID".
>Does these board have RAID functionality ?

Yes. They can mirror (RAID level 1) two drives - a poor man's RAID
controller, so-to-say. We are running all four machines in that mode.

>As you also see:
>sd0(mpt0:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x2a 00 03 69 13 bf 00 00 10 00
>    SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
>    ASC/ASCQ:  Internal Target Failure
>
>It's quite possible that this is a hardware issue, and the firmware reports
>this event because the RAID functionality is not (or not completely)
>disabled.

It's not disabled - it had better not be, since I set up the machines that
way.  ;)

The thing is that I only get the above log message from high traffic
(untaring NetBSD binary tarballs, or nightly find(1) runs).

>The freebsd doesn't have special handling for the MPI_EVENT_INTEGRATED_RAID
>either.

There are probably controller chips with and without RAID 1 functionality.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email