Subject: Re: mpt(4) issues, was: Why not softdep per default?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2005 17:05:12
Am 31.03.2005 um 15:46 Uhr +0200 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
>On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:04:56PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
>>  At 8:48 Uhr +0200 30.3.2005, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>>  >> There are two more machines, same controllers with a later firmware
>>  >> revision, boards same family, only 64Bit PCI. When I put the NetBSD disks
>  > >> into one of those machines, I found that they wouldn't even boot
>>  >> multi-user before locking up. The boxes run debian with a
>>
>>  [...]
>>
>>  >It looks like an issue with the MPT driver, not scsipi or softdeps.
>>  >Maybe the newer firmware have a sightly different interface with the
>>  >driver ?
>>
>>  Swapping the controller cards between the machines made no difference, so
>>  it looks like a 32bit vs. 64bit PCI issue (bandwidth?).
>
>I don't follow you, do you mean you have a box with 64bit PCI slot,
>one with 32bit PCI slot, and only the 32bit one has issues with the mpt
>driver ?

The two machines running netbsd-2 ATM are 32bit pci boards. They
sort-of-work under light load with the occasional panic during the
daily cron jobs. Moving the disks to the two newer machines (64bit
pci) makes NetBSD jam while booting to multi-user. Using the older
controllers (all are 64bit pci cards) makes no difference.

So both machine generations have the mpt problem, only it hits much
worse/earlier with the 64bit pci boards.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik