Subject: Re: Why not softdep per default?
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2005 21:50:11
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 06:52:56PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Sean Davis said:
>
> >Yuck, I'd never seen that happen, or even thought about it. But it just adds
> >to my bucket of reasons why I refuse to trust softdep with /, /var, anything
> >the system can't live well without. Basically I look it thinking about the
> >old "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" axiom: if I'm gaining such
> >drastic speedups in untarring, I must be losing something else somewhere else.
> >For me, that tends to manifest itself in a LOT of system lag during/after
> >the untar, and that lag never happens on non-softdep'd filesystems.
>
> On the other hand, freebsd seems to use softdeps by default on all filesystems
> at install time. And yet there doesn't seem to be much talk about it on
> the freebsd mailing lists or comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.
>
> I have one freebsd box here running 5.3, and it hasn't done anything strange.

Yes, I've noticed that too. Softdeps seem to perform very consistently well
on FreeBSD. I wonder what they're doing that we're doing differently? I also
wonder if it could be a side-effect of UBC caching tons of file pages (not
that I mind UBC caching tons of file pages, I'm just curious) but I don't
know enough about the innards to be able to tell for sure.

- Sean

--
 _
( ) ASCII Ribbon Campaign