Subject: Re: Why not softdep per default?
To: Karsten Kruse <tecneeq@tecneeq.de>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2005 16:48:43
>>> is there any reason why softdep is not activated after a new
>>> installation
>>> by default?
>
>>> I use it for years (since 1.6 iirc) and it worked flawless for me. My
>>> system fsck's after powerfailure, but i never lost anything or had to
>>> repair a filesystem since i use it.
>
>> Obviously it's not enough that it works for you.
>> On a VAX, you're lucky if the system lives 10 minutes before it
>> crash. And that is still true in -current.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that.
>
> But i don't see why it should not be possible to change sysinst to use
> softdep on the ports where it is expected to work.

i partly agree. though NetBSD 2.0's installer allows setting softdep as
an option for mountpoints, maybe (on certain platforms) it would be a
win to enable them by default?

for me, they run smooth on amiga, macppc, sparc, sparc64, and i386. am
about to try them on sgimips =8-)

cheers,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.