Subject: Re: Somewhat disappointed NetBSD newbie
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 18:38:16
Since this has mostly been addressed (and is the wrong list), I'm going
to be brief.  As others, I suggest that you post to netbsd-help for help
with using NetBSD.  Post to netbsd-users for general chatter.

Several of your complaints seem to boil down to: NetBSD isn't what
you are used to (i.e., some GNU/LINUX distribution such as Debian).
Well, yes.  If you prefer Debian GNU/LINUX, you know where to find it.
If we wanted Debian GNU/LINUX, we'd be running that.  You're using a new
system, so take a deep breath and adjust to it.  It sounds like you
do not know the relative merits of each system and are just upset
that they are not identical.

The rest of your complaints are, as noted, really not about NetBSD
issues and are not likely to be fixed by complaining here; this
list is for people running NetBSD's -current (in-development,
not-released) version.  You might as well complain to a doorknob;
in both cases, all that you'll get out of it is venting personal
steam.  (The advantage of venting at a doorknob is that it won't
irritate others.  (^&  However, it may irritate the doorknob, which
could be problematic if it's a door that you frequently use.)

Finally, re. flaming: Yes, your email is partly flame or flame-bait,
whether you intended it as such or not.  Imagine if a NetBSD user
had logged into a Debian GNU/LINUX development list and said, "Why
do you included such bloated and silly programs as bash when there
are better options like sh and ksh?  Why don't you throw out the
obsolete and broken package system and use the more functional
pkgsrc?"  (And similar remarks.)  Basically, "Why don't you make
your OS more like NetBSD?"  Would you have much sympathy for that
user if they were not warmly welcomed by the Debian people?

You might get further if you said, "I come from a Debian GNU/LINUX
background, and find NetBSD's ways strange.  Can you help me find
my way around?  Here are some problems that I have..."  Instead of
saying that, e.g., pkgsrc is inferior, ask how to accomplish familiar
tasks.  (You do this, e.g., with regard to key repeat.  But for
packages, you just declare that this new (to you) system is inferior.
Personally, having used pkgsrc and the Debian system, I *far* prefer
pkgsrc,)

Alright.  That's longer than I meant to stay.  I'll go now.  (^&