Subject: Re: A little less disappointed NetBSD newbie ;)
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 15:19:37
On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 09:04:50PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 02:44:32PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > But I cannot imagine why you expect that the "linux" terminal type
> > would work, ever, at all.  Where did we ever claim that it would?
>
> I just found such terminal among all the others. If it belongs to the NetBSD
> terminal emulations collection - why should I consider, it will _not_ work?

You're kidding, right?

I'll tell you what:  sit down at the console of a Linux box.  Do
"export TERM=hp2621" (I assume you're using bash; if tcsh, do
"set term = hp2621") and then run joe or vi or some other applications
that you usually use.

Then file a bunch of bug reports with the Linux vendor and send a bunch
of flame mails to Linux mailing lists.  The responses will perhaps
educate you as we seemingly have not.

"It should work, right?  If hp2621 belongs to the Linux terminal emulations
collection - why should I consider, it will _not_ work?"

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky