Subject: Re: A little less disappointed NetBSD newbie ;)
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 12:02:28
The TERM= setting doesn't tell the console driver how to behave.  So
setting TERM=linux just is not going to make us behave like a Linux
box!

Instead, TERM= is used to tell the software what capabilities the
terminal device has.  As noted elsewhere in this thread, the NetBSD
console terminal device is basically a DEC vt220 with some vt240
color extensions.  If you're running an application on the console,
you should have TERM=vt220 for best results;  that way, the application
knows what the terminal device is capable of doing, and how to do it.

If you found an entry in termcap for one of those old IBM "golfball"
terminals (IBM 2741?), would you expect TERM=golfball would magically
make our software understand EBCDIC characters?  I think not.  So
why do you expect setting TERM=linux to make us behave like a linux
terminal?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 02:44:32PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
>> But I cannot imagine why you expect that the "linux" terminal type
>> would work, ever, at all.  Where did we ever claim that it would?
>
> I just found such terminal among all the others. If it belongs to the NetBSD
> terminal emulations collection - why should I consider, it will _not_ work?
> --
> 				pozdrawiam / regards
>
> 						Zbigniew Baniewski

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
|  & World Cruiser | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |