Subject: Re: Somewhat disappointed NetBSD newbie
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: J Chapman Flack <flack@cs.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 11:05:10
> Nope.  He was 100% right.  And so am I.  Go ahead and bitch about
> things you don't like, or be constructive and help solve them.  Or,
> if your other O/S is so much better, use it and leave us alone!
>
> :)

Whoa.  Good thing for nebsd advocacy that a smiley fixes everything....  ;)

I've got little to add except on the JRE matter... sure, the only JRE right
now uses COMPAT_LINUX, but that's also the way things like acroread and
flash and realplayer come out, so I just use a linux-binary browser and all
the plugins work fine - it's actually easier than pestering all those vendors
to release more binaries.  The Java Plugin from JRE 1.5 works just fine for me
in mozilla.

Keep in mind that COMPAT_LINUX is a very thin API translation layer, not
anything with a noticeable performance impact.  I think it's quite handy
to have.  I'm also using COMPAT_IBCS2 to run an old commercial SCO app I
paid through the nose for years ago, also without any performance impact.

Both those compat layers had some multiprocessor-incompatibilities in 2.0,
but

 (look out, I'm about to make this thread ACTUALLY RELEVANT TO CURRENT-USERS!)

     they've been fixed in -current.  :)

-Chap