Subject: Somewhat disappointed NetBSD newbie
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2005 15:34:33
Hallo,

I've installed recently NetBSD 2.0, and I'm somewhat disappointed, that
despite the many years of development it suffers from such basic things like
f.e. terminal settings. Perhaps somebody could help me with the problems
listed?

List of questions and improvement suggestions:

1. Choosing a proper terminal type is a problem. Simply choosing "linux" is
not a solution, because either I've got in return proper colors, but the
screen gets ruined (ekg) - or still having proper colors, there aren't any
"frames" (semigraphic) anymore (mp3blaster) and some function keys aren't
working. It's very rare case, when the colours and the screen building
both are OK (lynx).

Probably the most "stable" terminal type would be "wsvt25" - which doesn't
"forget" the semigraphics existence, gives F-keys quite normal
functionality, and gives _almost_ normal text colors. But not quite - "warm"
colours - like yellow and red - vanished from applications screens (although
"colourls" gives f.e. red in return). And, unfortunately, some apps (like ekg)
are black-white.

How can I fix it? Perhaps there is even better choice than wsvt25?

2. I can't understand, why <Delete> key behaves exactly just like
<Backspace>. I prefer to have <Delete>, instead of just another <Backspace>,
placed very close to the proper one. Is it possible?

3. Some keys seem to work strange. F.e. running "mp3blaster" I noticed, that
I cannot raise volume using ">" key. The similar thing occurs when running
"aumix" - I cannot raise volume using "right arrow". In both cases I can
only lower the volume. It's not any hardware/mixer problem. I can raise the
volume using the ciffer keys. How can it be fixed?

4. Haven't found any way to set the key-repeat speed. Does there exist one?

5. Trying several other terminal types, occasionally I've got "core dumped"
in return, when trying to run some apps. Seems, it sometimes depends on the
chosen terminal type.

6. Functionality of the "moused", when going to "copy & paste" text, is much
less than the one of very old - well known from Linux - gpm. moused is very
uncomfortable, but - as I can see - the only available at the moment. Or
perhaps someone has ported gpm to NetBSD?

7. Using my favourite text editor - joe - I've got strange errors directly
in edited texts, when executing it from within vt100, vt220 and other "first
choice" terminal types. F.e. when editing .profile file, I've got in some
places within the text:

OOPS#       $NetBSD: dot.profile,v
[..]
PATH=OOPS$HOME/bin:/bin:/sbin:/us
[..]
EXINIT=OOPS'set autoindent'

...and so on. What does mean this "OOPS", inserted directly before some of
the "extraordinary" characters?

No such problem, when wsvt25 is set as terminal type.

8. <Home> and <End> keys are working properly in command-line also only when
wsvt25 is chosen (but haven't tried really all available terminal types).

9. Why, as default shells, are chosen quite obsolete and uncomfortable (and
even buggy - csh) shells like csh, ksh and sh - and the much more functional
tcsh, bash and zsh needs to be installed additionally? I think, it should be
quite opposite.

10. It's curious, that until today there isn't ready internalization of
console fonts. Found some "workarounds" for installation of ISO-8859-2
characters (f.e. the one from netbsd.cz site), but when made it - I lost the
entire semigraphic. Why not import the whole thing directly from FreeBSD?

11. Such essential utility like mc should be available as ready-made,
precompiled package. vfu isn't any equivalent for mc.

12. xmradio utility seem to be broken (it dumps core all the time). Didn't
compile it from sources - it does need some pounds of dev-libraries.

13. Can't watch any TV using xawtv. Didn't find the reason. Perhaps someone
knows, what's going on?

14. Fixtv shows TV once, and - when changing the TV-system (f.e. from one
PAL version to another) - it doesn't show anything more until I reboot whole
system.

15. Couldn't it be much better to replace the whole package system with more
functional one - perhaps to adopt the debian packaging system? Why keep the
uncomfortable and less functional pkg? Just because NetBSD "should have
it's own, different" packaging system? Why invent that wheel anew?

16. Does there exist any JRE for NetBSD (as plugin for Firefox) - but not
for using in "linux-emulation mode"?

17. Perhaps somebody can tell me the way to transfer entire installed NetBSD
from one hdd to another (it's installed together with FreeDOS and NetBSD
bootmanager)? Or even better: to make copy on the CD - and to install it back
from such backup-CD to other hdd?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski