Subject: 3.0_BETA: telnetd broken (probably not PAM related)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/2005 01:21:05
After PR #29720 didn't get any attention, I've installed a 3.0_BETA system
in a sandbox (boot 3.0_BETA kernel, build.sh install=/sandbox, extracted
etc.tgz and MAKEDEV'd). For kicks, I've stopped the system's normal inetd,
enabled telnet logins in the sandbox' inetd.conf and started inetd in the
sandbox.

Telnetting from the (3.0_BETA) sandbox to (3.0_BETA) localhost works, even
with the confusing text mentioned in PR 29720.

Telnetting from outside (2.0_STABLE) the sandbox to (still 3.0_BETA)
localhost (in the sandbox) results in:

 	miyu# telnet localhost
 	Trying 127.0.0.1...
 	Connected to localhost.
 	Escape character is '^]'.
 	telnetd: Authorization failed.
 	Connection closed by foreign host.
 	miyu#

I'd expect to work telnet logins after an upgrade to 3.0.

And while we're at it, I was told that "SRA" was some encrypted telnet...
it would be really useful if telnetd.8 and telnet.1 would mention it, and
esp. how to disable this. (If I want telnet, I want it unencrypted; if I
want encrypted terminal login, I use ssh or IPsec).

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)