Subject: Re: Problems accessing anoncvs
To: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/2005 08:57:38
On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 05:32:21PM +0500, Ian Zagorskih wrote:

> During last two days i have problems while trying to access anoncvs like
> below:
>
> # pwd
> /usr/xsrc
> # cvs up -dP
> cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
> any)

The server permits about 100 simultaneous connections.  In recent weeks
we have had repeated problems with single client machines making as many
as a dozen connections at once.  Somehow some of our users seem to have
decided that it's not just acceptable but actually good standard practice
to fire off several cvs update processes in parallel.  Of course this
actually will be slower for them _and_ block access to the server for
other users; it's not just greedy, it's stupid too.

We are working on automatically blocking access to the server from hosts
that repeatedly make multiple simultaneous connections (because of the
way the service is implemented, it's difficult to enforce a single
connection limit in realtime).  For the moment, we're blocking such hosts
by hand as we notice them, which is not always good enough to keep more
responsible users from having trouble like you describe above.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience to everyone.  I am frankly baffled by
this sudden outbreak of obnoxious behaviour among the users of the
anoncvs service!  Generally NetBSD users are helpful, responsible, and
have good enough sense to not do things that not only inconvenience
everyone else, but also get them to where they're trying to go not
faster, but rather more slowly than sensible behaviour woruld.

Thor