Subject: Re: Proposal: removal of sendmail and postfix from base install
To: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
From: Andrew Reilly <andrew-netbsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2005 18:20:21
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 06:54:04AM +0000, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> I really don't see the *point* in discarding the current distribution scheme,
> just like I really don't see the *point* in having no MTA in base. Every
> NetBSD box needs to have *some* kind of local delivery agent at the very
> least - otherwise cron (including the weekly/monthly/daily security stuff)
> will break. So shall we remove cron too, then?

Rather than having no MTA, a switch could be made to something
like mini_sendmail (pkgsrc/mail/mini_sendmail), that basically
ONLY does smart-host relaying.  Not useful for a stand-alone
workstation, I guess, but good for sundry server configurations.

I'd guess that a fairly substantial fraction of NetBSD installs
are either workstation PCs, which want local-host mail delivery
(at least) or servers that do real MTA duty, and so traditional
(but up-to-date) sendmail is probably as good a default as any.

On the other hand, a build-time knob that allows sendmail to be
left out of custom builds is a nice thing.

Cheers,

--
Andrew