Subject: dhclient.conf and use of client-id
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2005 16:00:31
My local network admin suggests I should be emitting a 'client-id' based on
the MAC address of the interface I am doing DHCP on. There is a
well-understood format for this field, based a code for the media type, and
the MAC address either in hex, or as a string-hex value. In
man dhclient.conf the option is noted.

Clearly this requires per-host, per-interface config. Is there a simple way
to do this as part of systems management on NetBSD during install/upgrade
time? Much though I hate kudzu, the benefit of scanning for new devices
might lie in this kind of thing.

It was easy enough to do, and I've done it for all my various roam-around
configs, but I wondered what other people do.

Since I've been consistently offered address when roaming, and locally at
my home net, its not 'vital' -But the admin is adamant (1) most other OS do
this now and (2) its useful for home-net configuration of DHCP clients onto
stable IP assignments so they use DHCP, but get the 'right' address.

comments..

-G