Subject: Re: pam, ssh, and pam_ssh
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: dieter <dieter.NetBSD@pandora.be>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/2005 09:00:48
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> We can disable pam_ssh; I am not opposed to it at all. I am just

Thanks for doing so. :)

> trying to understand how pam_ssh is supposed to work in that framework.
> So if we disable pam_ssh from /etc/pam.d/sshd, do we disable UsePam from
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config? What happens for password authentication then?

I think the confusing thing is the name pam_ssh. The module is not meant
to be a pamification of ssh, it is an authentication module which uses
(abuses?) ssh key (and thus can be used for other services). It has
nothing to do with normal use of ssh keys. UsePAM in sshd_config still
lets sshd use PAM for password authentication.

dieter

--
 	For Speedy CVS Updates of your NetBSD trees check
 		http://moon.vub.ac.be/scu